[Qgis-psc] [Qt-for-Python] report of the technical group

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 22:45:06 PST 2022

Dear PSC,

Following the report of the evaluation of Qt-for-Python for QGIS' Python
bindings and its conclusion [0], we proposed [1] to create a group of
meaningful QGIS
developers to propose some recommendations on what to do next.

Alessandro, Julien, Matthias, Nyall and I met and the conclusions are the
following:

* we recognize Qt for Python as a valuable potential solution for QGIS’
bindings

* but we cannot take a formal final decision at this stage due to the
remaining technical unknowns

* the global amount of work required is considerable (50 to 100 days) and
imprecise

* we recommend to investigate more, proceed block by block and reevaluate
at each step if we are still moving in the right direction

* this procedure should be a grant for the project to avoid wasting money
(e.g. deciding after 90% of the whole effort to finally stick to PyQt) and
for the developers (workload estimation)

* we recommend to use the 5000€ of development budgeted for 2022 for the
next block to bring a broader set of tests in QGIS core running with PySide
(under Qt6) so the group could meet again, reevaluate the decision and
potentially propose a follow up

* considering the short amount of time dedicated and the work already done
by OPENGIS, it makes sense in terms of efficiency that OPENGIS also handles
this block (other devs might get involved in the potential next ones)

Hereby, we recommend the PSC to sponsor a follow-up on the investigation of
using Qt-for-Python for QGIS’ bindings.

For the technical group,
Denis

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/237