[Qgis-user] Icons of GRASS tool do not display

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 02:57:26 PST 2015

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Patrick Giraudoux
<patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr> wrote:
>> I have just installed QGIS Lyon with GRASS 6.4.4 (standalone), on Windows
>> 7,  but cannot get the usual GRASS toolbar (I just have "open the GRASS
>> tools" and "set de current region" icons. This makes me unable to display
>> GRASS rasters or vectors into QGIS. However, in earlier projects where GRASS
>> objects were already displayed in QGIS, I get them displayed OK as layers...
>>
>> Any idea about how to proceed to get access to the commands "Add a raster
>> layer from GRASS" or "Add a vector layer from GRASS"?
>
> Sorry to respond to myself, but I have found a solution, and I thought it
> may help other users. There are no longer icons to display GRASS
> raster/vector objects in a tool bar, but the user must use the QGIS browser
> panel ("explorateur" in French) to fetch the appropriate file in the
> relevant GRASS project (see
> https://www.qgis.org/fr/site/forusers/visualchangelog212/index.html#plugins).

It is also described in the documentation:
http://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/grass_integration/grass_integration.html

> Must admit I prefer the straight solution of earlier versions, where a
> dialog box permitted easy access to the GRASS mapset that was opened from
> icons. Anyway, no choice in the latest version as long as I understand...
> Suppose there has been good reasons to do so and that I will discover them
> later :-)

The icons and dialogs were removed after discussion in mailing list
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2015-May/037827.html
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2015-May/037828.html
There were no voices asking to keep the dialogs.

I think that using the browser to add layers is generally accepted and
preferred. Try to count clicks to add a layer
- dialog: 1 click to open dialog, 1 click to trigger combo box drop
down, 1 click to select layer, 1 click to add layer = 4 clicks
- browser: 1 double click on the layer

Radim