[Qgis-user] [QGIS-Developer] timzonefinder vs point in polygon

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:52:29 PST 2021

It is highly likely that you have a much faster machine than mine so I can
only look at comparative times between timezonefinder and the PyQGIS code
included below. You will notice that I take a snapshot of the time before
and after I iterate through the 10,000 points using both timezonefinder as
a look up and the code Nyall proposed. That is how I am getting the times.
What I am really trying to determine is the fastest way to look up a point
using either timezonefinder or PyQGIS code. Perhaps what I have with PyQGIS
code is fast enough, but I am not satisfied if it is not close to the speed
of timezonefinder.

Ultimately, I am trying to determine whether I should continue to use
timezonefinder as the method to look up time zones in my
datetimetools plugin or should I have the gpkg time zone polygon layer as a
part of the plugin and do lookups using it. Right now I am just doing
single point lookups and it is probably fast enough, but I don't like that
it is slower than timezonefinder. I am likely to expand datetimetools
plugin to have a processing algorithm to do a lookup on a whole layer and
in that case the PyQGIS method is better.

Those are my thoughts and if there is a faster method using the gpkg time
zone polygon to do the lookup, let me know.  One thing I just tried was
using the shapefile from
https://github.com/evansiroky/timezone-boundary-builder. It appears it is
not spatially indexed and was taking too long. I resaved it as a shapefile
and made sure it had a spatial index, but the gpkg conversion of the
shapefile is even faster to access.

Calvin