[Board] Compile data for budget

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:38:26 PST 2018

> Sure, I passed your request on to the incubation committee here:
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2018-July/003658.html
>>
>> You passed the request I made to the budget committee, I didn't mail it
> to incbator

You made the request to me as incubation chair.

And a similar one in response to the zoo-project:
>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2018-July/003631.html
>>
>> You passed the request Gerald made probably to the budget committee, He
> didn't mail it  to incubator

The treasurer made the request to be me as incubation chair.

> "without the need of asking incubation committee"
>>
> Well, I thought budget was handled by budget committee and it seems you
> want to change that some part of the budget is to be handled by incubator
> committee (for the community projects).

The budget committee stopped functioning, the board has taken over that
responsibility (and indeed it is our focus for December).

The incubation committee was asked to manage the osgeo community activity
when it was formed (initially focused on setting good clear guidelines for
joining).

Ideally ZOO-Project can graduate and operate independently next year (with
>> their own committee and officer).
>>
> Ideally that could happen to pgRouting also

That would be great! It is really what we are trying for.

> "get some budget"
>> The only way to participate in the OSGeo budget planning is through a
>> committee (the board is one such committee, as is marketing, incubation,
>> and each osgeo project). If you look to the top of the thread I was
>> considering which committee should be responsible for community projects
>> once they have been accepted.
>>
> Yes, maybe I used the wrong word: get funds
> Can be by donations, or by participating in programs like GSoC, or request
> some budget to OSGeo

Right, and for OSGeo activities usually we try for a mix of donations and
osgeo budget.

Any way, please consider that community projects have the option to look
> for funds somewhere else.
> when you make your proposals

Yes, and if a community project / local chapter / inititive has something
cool going on they can always approach the board (or one of the other
committees) for financial support.