[OSGeo-Edu] "OSGeo Teach-in" event proposal

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Jun 23 19:20:41 EDT 2008

Quoting "Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)" <tmitchell at osgeo.org>:

> Without digging through the whole thread about Gary's material, can
> anyone summarise where we left this?
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/edu_discuss/2006-August/000175.html
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/edu_discuss/2006-August/000212.html

Here's my blurry recollection:

- Gary wanted to put an OSGeo logo on his material.
- There was some concern (can't remember who was involved here) that anything
with the OSGeo logo should go through some review process.
- We didn't have a review process, and there may have been a question on the
license to be used. We didn't have an agreed upon license.
- Gary waited, but had to proceed, and he consequently dropped the request and
moved forward.
- It was an example of what I personally thought we didn't want to have happen.
Here was a very active developer of open source geo educational content wanting
to connect, and my sense was he got frustrated and just dropped it and moved on
(I think Gary may be still on this list though... Gary?). I can't really blame
him.
- Up until now, our take as a group has been that we need to build a larger
database of tutorials -- any kind at this point. So we have a statement at the
top of the wiki saying that none have been officially reviewed or something like
that.

- So THESE QUESTIONS REMAIN

A) Can people put OSGeo logos on their tutorials?
B) Is there some process we need to go through to make a tutorial or edu
material tagged "OSGeo"?
C) Do we need to come up with a recommended license for content?

My personal view on this is that

1) OSGeo logos on tutorials are free marketing (a good thing). One idea might be
to develop some kind of statement that authors should use if they did use the
logo that says something like: "this tutorial is part of a general effort by the
OSGeo foundation to create a global, open access repository of educational
material related to open source geospatial theory and technologies. This
tutorial has not been reviewed by anyone at OSGeo. Any mistakes,
misrepresentations, or inaccuracies are the authors' alone." I'm not a lawyer,
so if someone on this list has a better suggestion -- go for it! Or Tyler or
others might object for valid reasons I don't understand. But this seems one
possible way past this impasse.

2) I think licensing should probably be left to the original author. I
personally see no reason why we shouldn't allow the opportunity for funds to
flow around educational workshops just as open source software groups are doing
by providing services around software. So I would hope if there was some agreed
upon license that it wouldn't stop that from happening. So there might be some
advantages to deciding on a "recommended" (but not mandated) license for new
authors.

Hope that helps and apologies if my memory confused something.

Charlie