[OSGeo-Edu] "OSGeo Teach-in" event proposal

cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Jun 23 21:15:51 EDT 2008

Quoting Daniel Ames <amesdani at isu.edu>:

> I don't like the proposed phrase, "has not been reviewed by anyone at
> OSGeo." Presumably Gary is "at OSGeo" if that is to be taken to mean an
> OSGeo member (by this definition:http://www.osgeo.org/membership). So drop
> that phrase and the disclaimer seems pretty good. - Dan

Good point Dan... perhaps

"This tutorial is part of a general effort by the OSGeo foundation to create a
global, open access repository of educational material related to open source
geospatial theory and technologies. However, this tutorial has not been FORMALLY
PEER_REVIEWED WITHIN THE OSGEO ORGANIZATION. Any mistakes, misrepresentations,
or inaccuracies are the authors' alone."

But this might have legal implications that I am not aware of. Tyler? Others?
Could something like this allow people to post the OSGEo logo on tutorials?

FINALLY, A COMMENT ON THE PEER-REVIEW ISSUE:

In the tutorials I put up, we have a section heading of "Reviewed By" which
lists a student in my shop who did this. It might be a good social norm to do
this in any tutorials we host, following the user-driven innovation concept:
Let peer-review happen simply when someone uses the tutorial. Tutorial
maintainers should try to incorporate any errors they find (or let the new user
do this as a new derivative), and add have that "user-reviewer" add their name
to a Review list embedded in the tutorial source?

I see this as the only realistic way of undertaking peer-review. We could try to
set up a formal system, but I am not confident people will have the time to
undertake a close look at something (this relates to the idea of "granularity"
Yochai Benkler talks about -- how long it takes to do a task).

If others agree on all of this perhaps I should bring these ideas up for a vote?
Not sure of protocol here.

Cheers
Charlie