[postgis-users] Re: MySQL 4.1 GIS Functionality

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Aug 5 10:42:18 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 10:25 AM, Paul DuBois wrote:

> Did you compile MySQL yourself or use a precompiled distribution?
> (Reason I ask is that we have observed some problems with GCC
> and GIS columns unless optimization is turned off, or at least down
> to -O1.)

Ourselves, and it looks like the configure script chose to optimize at
O3. We did not have any problems with the columns themselves, just
thinks like the ISAM limitation (perhaps that was the cause of the
crash though?)

> You could also enable MySQL's query cache, in which case the second and
> subsequent execution of a query should yield almost instantaneous
> results. :-)

Not actually calculating the answer isn't really fair. :) Nor is it
real-world for the spatial domain, where spatial queries can be
expected to almost *never* share the same input bounding box.

      Paul Ramsey
      Refractions Research
      Email: pramsey at refractions.net
      Phone: (250) 885-0632