[QGIS-Developer] On github, gitlab, and imperialist nations screwing us all over...

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Aug 1 02:32:14 PDT 2019

Hi Ian,

Am 01.08.19 um 11:21 schrieb Ian Turton:
> I would suspect that switching to gitlab would not be sufficient as it
> is still with in the USA and would be subject to the same
> restrictions. Also if self-hosting we will need to make sure it
> outside the USA.

Yes - our self-hosted infrastructure is in Germany.

We are aware that gitlab is also hosted in the US.

However, a self-hosted version of gitlab in our current infrastructure
adds a significant additional burden. That's why we need to discuss it
first, reach consensus and allocate resources for maintenance.

As to China: this is kind of a "black hole" for us. China (and probably
also North Korea) are some of the very few countries where we have
almost no feedback on usage, have almost no income of donations and
sponsorships, etc. My assumption is that in China they just pirate ESRI
software, or they have some alternative GIS they programmed themselves.

Andreas