[QGIS-Developer] Bummer... not working geopackage & QGIS

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 18:37:19 PDT 2019

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 11:02, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi Nyall, all,
> so you're implicitly suggesting refactoring this code entirely, right?

Yes, it needs a similar rework as has been done in the past with
symbology, vector iteration, print layouts, processing, layer
tree/legend etc. It's the oldest foundational code still in use in
QGIS today and is overdue for a rethink and rebuild.

> I imagine this would be a major effort. Does anybody have an idea of the order of magnitude of the work involved?

Well, Alessandro and I debated in the past whether or not to submit
this as a grant proposal, but in the end decided that the work
required was too large for available grant funds (and was too painful
to undertake on a partially funded/semi-volunteer basis). There's a
lot involved, because attribute table also includes forms and editor
widgets.

In my view the editor widget code itself is in decent shape, but the
form code has drifted far from its original design and had too many
extra parts bolted on, and now needs a (code) redesign. The attribute
table dialog/view and model need completely reworking, with
performance specifically in mind.

Nyall